St Thomas More wants pupils to be able to make independent, well-informed decisions about their futures.
Together with their curriculum studies, our careers programme seeks to implement this aim via a range of careers activities designed to give pupils the wherewithal to make sensible choices. St Thomas More is guided by the Department for Education’s recent Careers Strategy: making the most of everyone’s skill and talents, and by the eight “Gatsby Benchmarks” denoting excellence in careers education:
- A stable careers programme
- Learning from career and labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each student
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal guidance
A few examples of our offer to pupils:
- A fortnight of employer-based work experience in Year 10
- In-school PHSE event for Year 10, enabling face-to-face discussions with apprenticeship providers, employers, universities, and colleges
- In-school post-16 Information Day for Year 11 (and parents) to discuss possible destinations following school with apprenticeship providers, 6th forms, grammar schools, and local colleges
- Small group visits to local post-16 education providers for Year 11
- Parents Evening (with careers support) in Year 8 to help choose Options
- Visit to national careers event at Olympia for Year 11
At key points of transition, pupils are supported by Alex More, our postgraduate-qualified Careers Adviser from The Shaw Trust (formerly PROSPECTS). This means that in Year 8 (Options) and in Year 11 (post-16), pupils have the opportunity of an individual guidance interview with an impartial adviser to talk through their choices. A summary careers action plan is then produced for the pupil, and their Year Head. Parents are welcomed to these interviews.
Careers co-ordinator is Mrs Kay Jennings. Kay co-ordinates and directs the careers offer at St Thomas More.
She can be contacted at:- email@example.com